I think that when I got involved with church, one of the things that struck me about First Baptist was the choir, first of all. That was something that I was looking forward to in a church. And I didn’t find a whole lot of Baptist churches that were doing that in a traditional service. So I was really excited when I saw that and saw the opportunity. I just happened to be sitting next to Scott Moore and before I knew it, I was already in the choir.
Of course, after a little bit of time, well, it was probably longer than it should have been, I decided I needed to join the church and make more of a commitment to God and putting my focus on him.
I think the main thing that giving has done, and I think the first thing people think is in terms of a faith-based idea of your giving and telling God that, “I know I don’t have that much, but whatever I have, I’m giving to You and You’ll do something with it.”
It’s never been something that I’m very good at, but when you have that 10% to take out for tithing, then you have to arrange everything else. Not only has, obviously, my giving to the church increased, but I’ve also managed my practice better; I’ve managed my money better.
You can think of God almost as a financial advisor. He’s teaching you how to save, and how to be good stewards with your money. Not only with the money that belongs to Him — that 10% — but also with all the other 90% of the money you make. And I think that was one of God’s intentions by doing this, and by asking this of us, is not just to give money to Him and to show our faith, and show our discipline, but it’s also to teach us about how to manage our money and, in many ways, how to better manage our life.