WHY A SEASON OF RENEWAL & REVIVAL?
Has your life become so hectic and complicated that you wonder if you are missing out on the wonderful presence of God in your life? When was the last time you experienced revival? Join us beginning August 22 for a six-week Fall Festival of Faith when we will slow down and focus on our personal and collective spiritual revival and renewal.
During this time, you will notice an absence of committee and council meetings. We will do this in a spirit of stillness and quiet as we allow God’s Spirit to speak to us in fresh ways. John Ortberg’s The Me I Want to Be: Becoming God’s Best Version of You will help to guide our thoughts and discussion. The book and discussion guide are available for purchase from the church office. The book is $15 and the participant’s guide is $5. Call 546-9661 for more information.
Worship services, Sunday School, small-group meetings, and The Bridge will all be concentrating on how we can open our lives to God. What does that mean for us?
- During this six-week season of revival and renewal, we are giving our college and adult Sunday School teachers an opportunity to rest and renew as well. As a result, Sunday School will be a little different. Six large-group Sunday School classes will meet in different areas of the church. Our literature will be Ortberg’s study guide.
- All of the worship services will offer sermons relating to our theme of revival and renewal as we seek to become God’s best version of ourselves.
- Small group meetings allow participants an opportunity for in-depth discussions. There will be several small group meeting places and times. You will be asked to register for the small group you are interested in attending.
- The Bridge and Wednesday Night Bible Study will cover the same material as the small groups for those who find it difficult to attend a small group.
Fall Festival of Faith Sunday School and Small Groups will meet Sunday, August 22 through September 20.
The Me I Want to Be, by John Ortberg
Available for purchase at the church office
Reading The Me I Want to Be is your first step to becoming God’s best version of you. Join bestselling author and pastor John Ortberg as he guides you through the sometimes difficult but ultimately fulfilling journey towards a uniquely created spirituality. One designed just for you … one that will enable you to experience God more fully each day.
Available for purchase at the church office
Join bestselling author John Ortberg as he helps you discover spiritual vitality like never before with this five-session curriculum
Six master teachers will conduct classes during the Sunday School hour: Scott Erwin, Carol McEntyre, Bob Money, Greg Reed, Cliff Shirley, and Alan Tatum. Members will meet in the same room each week; teachers will rotate to a new room each week. This structure will remain for the duration of the six-week period of renewal and revival.
Youth, children and preschool will conduct meetings in their respective departments.
Dr. Shiell will conduct the Bridge Luncheon and Wednesday night Prayer Meeting using the small group materials for any adult who is not able to attend a small group.
Blue Room: Classes assigned are Faulkner, Calloway, Career Singles, Rebekah, Deaf
Trentham Hall: Classes assigned are Hall/Reed, Wyndward, Quarterlife, College
Chapel: Classes assigned are Money, Blakeley, Disciples
Adult 6: Classes assigned are Shalom, Nearlywed/Newlywed, Nelson, Burnett/Kessel
Mercy Classroom: Classes assigned are Pastoral, Butler, Boswell, Mercy
Money Classroom: Classes assigned are Ruth, Coley, Friendship, Joy
As part of the our season of renewal, small groups will meet in various locations. The purpose of these groups is to spend time in smaller, more intimate settings centered around the
Ortberg material. In these groups, we will have an opportunity to connect in fresh ways with each other in the pilgrimage of the Christian life.
Below, you will find a list of small groups that are forming. Do you see a group you’d like to join for five weeks beginning the week of August 22nd through the week of September 19? If so, just contact Janice Cunningham to sign up. She can be reached at 546-9661 or by email at email@example.com.
** childcare available at this location
First Baptist Church
- Thursday, Noon; Bill Shiell at FBC Trentham Hall
- Tuesday, 9 pm; Bill Shiell and Jordan Mallory at FBC Trentham Hall (for college students)
- Wednesday, 11:45 am; The Bridge with Bill Shiell
- Wednesday, 4:30-5:00 pm; Mary Hudson Prayer Room (next to Chapel)
- ** Wednesday, 6 pm; Bill Shiell in the Chapel
- ** Wednesday, 7 pm; for Spouses of Sanctuary Choir members, in the Mercy Classroom
- Sunday, 6 pm; Jim & Charlotte Damewood, 457 Big Bend Rd, Strawberry Plains, 37871
- **Sunday, 7 pm; Jamie & Jen Mabe, 8030 Leclay Dr, 37938
- Tuesday, 6:30 pm; Court & Jenny Lewis, 309 Stone Rd, 37920
- Tuesday, 7 pm; Wade & Judy Boswell, 3311 Bunker Hill Dr, 37920
- Thursday, 7 pm; Mark & Rhonda Parsons, 1332 Trentham Circle, Seymour, 37865
- **Sunday, 7 pm; Matthew & Amy Evans, 4216 Lilly Way, 37919
- Tuesday, 10 am; Wes & Melanie Franks (women only), 112 Herron Dr, 37919
- **Tuesday, 7 pm; Bill & Betty Coley, 7315 Lorimar Place, 37919
- Wednesday, 7 am; Scott Erwin at Panera Bread, 2000 Cumberland Ave. (men only)
THEMES EACH WEEK IN SUNDAY SCHOOL AND SMALL GROUPS
- August 22 – “Discover The Spirit”, Chapters 1-6 of Ortberg; Chapter 1 of Participants Guide
- August 29 – “Renew Your Mind”, Chapters 7-10 of Ortberg; Chapter 2 of Participants Guide
- September 5 – “Renew Your Time”, Chapters 11-14 of Ortberg; Chapter 3 of Participants Guide
- September 12 – “Deepen Your Relationships”, Chapters 15-18 of Ortberg; Chapter 4 of Participants Guide
- September 19 – “Transform Your Experience”, Chapters 19-22 of Ortberg; Chapter 5 of Participants Guide
- September 26 – Summary Lesson in Sunday School. Small groups will not meet this week.
Musical Specials on the following dates will be part of worship opportunities during the Fall Festival of Faith.
- Each Sunday – Dr. Shiell will preach
- August 29, 8:42 am & 11 am – Worship leaders, Cynthia Clawson and Bruce Greer
- September 5, 8:42 am & 11 am – Guest soloist, Evelyn Jack
- September 26, Next Step Commitment Sunday
- September 26, 8:42 am & 11 am – Soloist, Kely Hatley
- September 26, 7 pm – The Isaacs in Concert
What can you do between now and August 22? Be in prayer…for our church, for our staff, for our leaders, for ourselves…that we may be still and feel God’s presence.