First Baptist Knoxville began as a Child of Missions yet quickly evolved into a Mother of Missions. Through its mission work, First Baptist Knoxville started four major area churches: Broadway Baptist, Deadrick Avenue Baptist, Calvary Baptist, and West Hills Baptist.
Broadway Baptist: In the summer of 1870, First Baptist Knoxville rented the Caldwell
In 1884 a decision was made to organize an independent church, instead of a mission, and the State Mission Board was asked to send a missionary to the North Knoxville field. The Board agreed to send a missionary, i.e., the Reverend O. L. Hailey of Aberdeen, Michigan, and to contribute $500 toward his salary if First Baptist would match the monies. The church raised the money, and Reverend Hailey became the first pastor.
In 1885 First Baptist granted 28 members a joint "letter of dismission" to join the church. Broadway Baptist was officially organized in 1885 with 53 members.
Deadrick Avenue Baptist: In 1888, with the new church on Broad Street well under way, First Baptist Knoxville began collecting money to establish another mission in a new area. They collected $140 and then decided to
Calvary Baptist: In 1907 First Baptist Knoxville was considering a mission Sunday School at either Circle Park or East Mabry street. Both were desirable locations. Two years later the church purchased a lot for $425 at the corner of 12th Street and Cornell Avenue for the purpose of establishing a mission church. This church was to be called Calvary Mission. In 1911 Calvary Mission became Calvary Baptist Church. This was the beginning of the present Calvary Baptist Church now on Kingston Pike.
West Hills Baptist: As early as 1956, several Baptist ministers in the Bearden community were suggesting a new church be established in West Hills. First Baptist Knoxville organized a Sunday School and provided financial needs for the church. The first service was held in the West Hills Elementary School on October 4, 1959. There was a strong nucleus of First Baptist members in the West Hills neighborhood, and they quickly joined the new church. Eight acres of land was donated by the Schubert and Ellison families who were First Baptist members. First Baptist Knoxville gave thousands of dollars directly to the building of the church and supported a building loan. West Hills Baptist Church was recognized as an independent church in 1961 and celebrated its second anniversary in the handsome new building on Winston Road where it is today.
Other children of the Mother Church also included Bell Avenue, Ninth Ward Mission, Athens, Meridian, and Peoples Tabernacle.
Dr. Charles A.Trentham's "A Fountain-Head of Hope - A Story of a Hundred Years of the Mission Work of the First Baptist Church of Knoxville, Tennessee". It is estimated that this document was written in the late 1970's or early 1980's. Dr. Trentham was the pastor of First Baptist Knoxville from 1953 to 1974.